Monday, June 29, 2009

Movies

I am a movie nerd. I will admit it. I love to go to the theater and get a snack and sit in the

air conditioned environment and watch a good movie. I have become very picky in choosing

which movies I want to see. It's so darn expensive nowadays! If it insults my intelligence by

going for the cheap laughs then I must pass. I like something original and deep. I like something

that moves me, something that blows me away. I love pretty much all the genres. In this essay, I

will take a look at the different genres and the movies that I like that fall under those genres.


 

Starting off with the Horror movie, I have to explain something right away. I don't like

just any horror movie. If the movie is just one big gory body count then I will not see it. The

movie has to have a very interesting and fascinating plot. If it deals with something that is truly

terrifying, something that could happen in real life, I would classify that as a good movie. I have

a slight fear of the dark so when I saw "The Grudge", It truly shook me. I recently saw "The

Happening" directed by M. Night Shyamalan, It touched an inner fear that I have in regards to a

huge horrific event taking place and I can't get to my loved ones. It also truly shook me. But it

was also a very well done film. Here are other horror movies that I have enjoyed, The Saw

series, Halloween(original and remake),Candyman and Scream 1 and 3.


 

Moving on to the action movie, Growing up I was a huge fan of the Indiana Jones

franchise. To be honest I still am today. When I take a look at the heroes of some of the action

films that I have enjoyed and I look at what they have in common; they face enormous odds and

they pull through. I always found that to be inspiring. Here are some of the action movies that I

have enjoyed, Bad Boys 1 and 2, Rush Hour 1-3, The Indiana Jones series and pretty much

anything done by Michael Bay.


 

The Science Fiction movie. The year was 1982 and we were at "The Sanilac" movie

theater in Sandusky Michigan. We were there to see the movie "Star Trek 2 The Wrath of

Khan". At the end of the film, the character of Spock dies. My Mom was sitting to my left and

she cried! I was embarrassed. Now granted she was pregnant with my little brother at the time,

but it was still embarrassing. I will never forget that night, I was 5 years old when I saw that

movie. When the big screen came alive with the giant starships and the planets and space, I was

hooked and have been ever since. Here are some of the Science Fiction movies that I have

enjoyed over the years, Star Trek 2-4 and the recent prequel, Star Wars 1-6 and Serenity.


 

When writing about Dramatic movies, I get to talk about my all time favorite movie. My

all time favorite movie is "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button". It is my all time favorite

cause it spoke to me on a personal level. With what I have had to deal with over the past couple

of years, I was afraid that I had missed my shot at having a happy and successful life. I learned

from watching this movie that it is never too late to pick yourself up and try again. It is the only

movie that left me in tears when it was done. Here are some of the Dramatic movies that I have

enjoyed over the years, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, No Country for Old Men, There

will be Blood, Good Night and Good Luck, The Wrestler and The Fog of War.


 

The Comedy Genre. I have found that my taste for the comedic genre has changed

throughout the years. I use to like pretty much anything that would make me laugh but not

anymore. For example, The movie "Made of Honor" which was released last year. It stars

Patrick Dempsey as a guy who is asked by his female best friend to be her Maid of Honor.

Whoever thought that one up shouldn't be allowed to make anymore movies! I just don't find it

necessary to pay 8 bucks to go see something that insults my intelligence. Here are some of the

comedic films that I have enjoyed, Liar Liar, Bruce Almighty, Evan Almighty, Austin Powers,

Juno and Thank You for Smoking.


 

I have seen some really good movies and some really awful movies. Going to see a film

helps get my mind off of things, it cheers me up and sometimes helps me to refocus. I have

enjoyed going to the movies ever since I was a young child and will continue for years to come!

No comments: